Saturday, December 29, 2007

gift swap, holiday

The three wise men brought gifts to the newborn baby Jesus. The Hebrews had oil that lasted as light for eight days when it should have only lasted for one during the rededication of the holy temple. And hence, we have this gift giving racket. From what I have read, the gift giving for Hanukkah (why is it spelled a bunch of different ways?) arose out of the giving of "gelt" (money) after quizzing youngsters on religious knowledge, and it has expanded with the influence of the gift giving aompanying Christmas. Gift giving for Christmas has evolved over time, but the general motivation springs from the gifts the wise men brought & celebration of Jesus' "birthday."

What is all this nonsense at the mall? in my e-mail? the rushing around? the money spending? I just don't understand it. Most people I know don't even go to church, and they don't go on the holidays either. Many people lose sight of the whole reason for the gift giving. And why by being present am I subject to this? I don't want to be a part of this mass spending and mass getting of gifts. It makes me feel stupid, like I'm being suckered into some dumb game. It's nice to give gifts, and especially when they make people happy, but you shouldn't be obliged to give. And you shouldn't be obliged to give a certain amount of gifts, money, or value. I understand that the holidays are really nice for children, but it seems they have got way out of hand.

And you know what else is out of hand? The massive amount of people that show up at church. I guess its great if a holiday gets you out to church, but if you don't go all year, and you don't want to go, and it's all stressful packing the kids and the grannies up and having everyone argue, what's the point? I really don't think God cares. I passed by the church in my hometown on Christmas Eve afternoon, around four o'clock, and there was traffic backed up and people parking all over - like the mess of fireworks parking on Fourth of July! That many people (especially combined with Christmas Eve Vigil and Christmas Day masses) can't possibly attend church on a regular basis. It's great these people are going to church for the holiday, but I don't understand the idea behind it.

No comments: